DO YOU PRACTISE FAVOURITITSM?
     A few months ago, I went to a restaurant to get something to eat. I remember it was a Saturday afternoon because of the football match that was going on between Arsenal and Chelsea. As I sat down, I watched as people went in and came out. My attention went fixed to this man who just came in. I watched as he ordered his meal and got a comfortable place to sit. Apparently, he was a well-known politician. I watched as he beckoned to one of the waiters and said something after which the waiter went to a shabbily dressed man who was having a drink. To my surprise, the waiter asked him to leave his seat because the politician wanted to sit there and have a view of the match. Well, the young man did not take this likely and it caused a scene in the restaurant after which the man left to avoid further embarassment. As I sat glued to my sit, I asked myself why poor people are being discriminated.
This scenario is a typical example of favoritism. James the apostle asked us not to show favoritism in his letter (Jam 2:1 N.I.V MY brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don't show favoritism.) This was directly addressed to the believers (......as believers in our Lord Jesus Christ....) He did not just stop there but rather, he told us what favouritism implies. It implies giving special treatment to someone over another person due to differences in their social status it is important to note that Apostle James emphasised favoritism as something that had to do with a person's social status in the verses that follow ( Jam2:2 Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in. Jam 2:3 If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, "Here's a good seat for you," but say to the poor man, "You stand there" or "Sit on the floor by my feetJam 2:4 have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?).
 It is simply looking down at someone.
 A lot of us do this a lot or have done it at one point in time this is a good time to correct ourselves. This has to be taken seriously and regarded as a sin (Jam 2:9 But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers.)
There are a lot of people outside who need you to show them love and care rather than discriminate them. Whenever you have the chance to, make sure you show love because love is the fulfilling of the law. Remember that in everything you do, do it as unto God.
Say this prayer: Dear Lord, help me to love everyone as you love me, help to show care and love rather than favouritism to everyone around me. AMEN

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome

Anonymous said...

A lovely article...God bless you!